This document will guide you on how to recover the SSL312 if a firmware update went bad or you suspect the SSL312 stopped working because of bad firmware. It can also be used if the SSL312 is inaccessible even after a factory default. This procedure will lead to a complete loss of configuration on the SSL312.
1. Download the latest version of firmware for the SSL312 to your computer (it can be found under the Downloads tab on the SSL312 support page). The file will be a .tar file.
2. Rename the file to firmware.tar
3. Download and install a TFTP server on your computer and start it.
4. Configure the TFTP server, setting the root path to the directory which contains the file firmware.tar
5. Connect your computer to the console port of the SSL312 and start HyperTerminal with the following settings for your COM port - Bits per second 9600, Data bits 8, Parity None, Stop bits 1, Flow control None.
6. Reboot the SSL312 and you should then see the following:
7. Press the spacebar at this point.
8. Type set ipaddr x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is an IP address in the same subnet as your computer) and press return.
9. Next type upgrade y.y.y.y firmware.tar (where y.y.y.y is the IP address of your computer running the TFTP server) and press return. This will begin the copy of the firmware from the TFTP server to the SSL312 and will take a few minutes.
10. Once the copy has completed, you will see the below output:
11. Next, type ecs and press y when prompted.
12. Now reboot the SSL312. Once it has rebooted, it should now be accessible via 192.168.1.1 on Ethernet 1 and 10.0.0.1 on Ethernet 2.
This product includes software code developed by third parties, including software code subject to the GNU General Public License ("GPL") or GNU Lesser General Public License ("LGPL"). As applicable, the terms of the GPL and LGPL, and information on obtaining access to the GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product, are available to you at NETGEAR's Open Source Code Web page. The GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY and is subject to the copyrights of one or more authors. For details, see the GPL Code and LGPL Code for this product and the terms of the GPL and LGPL.