The purpose Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) snooping is to restrain multicast traffic in a switched network. By default, a LAN switch floods multicast traffic within the broadcast domain and this can consume a lot of bandwidth if many multicast servers are sending streams to the segment.
Multicast IP addresses are Class D IP addresses. Therefore, all IP addresses from 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 are multicast IP addresses.
IGMP Snooping can be very effective in network environments where Multicast applications like Video/Audio streaming are being used.
CONFIGURATION - Management IP address and IGMP
Set the Management IP address
1) Plugged the console cable to the Serial port of the switch and the serial port on the PC
2) Open a new Hyper Terminal session (connecting via the COM port) - settings 9600, 8 , None , 1, None
3) Power Cycle the switch
4) Upon POST the User: prompt will appear
5) Username is admin , password "blank"
6) Type Enable to access the privileged mode (password "blank" )
7) Type network protocol none to reset the network settings
8) Type network parms <<Management IP>> <<Subnet Mask>> <<Default Gateway IP>>. For example network parms 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1
9) User copy system:running-config nvram:startup-config to save the configuration
10) Check with show network if the settings are correct
The switch should now be accessible patching a CAT5 Straight-through cable. The PC NIC must be configured with an IP address within the same subnet used to configure the management IP of the switch (Example: 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
IGMP snooping implementation
Enable IGMP Snooping (CLI) on VLAN 1
(GSM7312) (config) #ip igmpsnooping
(GSM7312) (config) #ip igmpsnooping unknown-multicast filter
(GSM7312) (config) #ip igmpsnooping interfacemode
(GSM7312) (config) #exit
(GSM7312)# vlan database
This command activate IGMP on all the ports in VLAN 1
(GSM7312) (vlan) #ip igmp 1
This command activate the Querier to be the VLAN address (In this case 192.168.0.1)
(GSM7312) (vlan) #ip igmpsnooping querier 1
(GSM7312) (vlan) #exit
Enable IGMP snooping on any VLAN
In order to activate IGMP on any other VLAN the following list of commands must be modified replacing <VLAN-ID> with the VLANID number:
GSM7312)# vlan database
(GSM7312) (vlan) #ip igmp <VLAN-ID>
(GSM7312) (vlan) #ip igmpsnooping querier <VLAN-ID>
(GSM7312) (vlan) #exit
Further information can be found here.
This product includes software code developed by third parties, including software code subject to the GNU General Public License ("GPL") or GNU Lesser General Public License ("LGPL"). As applicable, the terms of the GPL and LGPL, and information on obtaining access to the GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product, are available to you at NETGEAR's Open Source Code Web page. The GPL Code and LGPL Code used in this product is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY and is subject to the copyrights of one or more authors. For details, see the GPL Code and LGPL Code for this product and the terms of the GPL and LGPL.